Since 1915 ...your citizen gathering place for social, recreational and cultural activities.
Welcome to Your Community Center!
The dundee woman's Club (DWC) has a long history of community service
The Club was founded in 1913 by a group of Dundee women who determined that a gathering place was needed to provide a social, cultural and civic programs and activities for Dundee residents and surrounding communities. The building has been used by groups such as the boy/Girl Scouts, musical and theater groups, fund raising and civic groups, a library in cooperation with the mobile book program, and for 23 years the Dundee High School boys/girls basket ball teams. As the community's needs have changed so have the programs and activities at the Center. In addition to many private events and use by civic groups, the DWC currently sponsors a community clothes closet and community supper as well as various community events. The Newberg/Dundee American Legion # 57 also meets regularly at the Center.
COMMUNITY CENTER RENTAL
Looking for the perfect venue for your next Meeting, Conference, Presentation or Celebration? Imagine holding your event in a National Historic Landmark? The over 100 year old American Movement: Bungalow/Craftsman buiding of the Historic Dundee Community Center, will not only make your event a success, but memorable. 100 padded folding chairs, round and banquet tables are available at no extra cost A full licensed kitchen is also included the 24-hour rental for $500. Call Linda at 971 281-4614 for rates for shorter times and for reservations.In exchange for their service to the community, DWC members can use the building without charge once per year. Non-profit groups in Dundee arre slso not charged a fee. Those outside Dundee pay only a small fee. Rental fees go to building maintance and restoration.
COMMUNITY CLOTHES CLOSET
Community Clothes Closet is one of our hugely successful Woman's Club current community service projects. It is located in our recently remodeled upstairs room. All items new or gently used clothing, shoes, and backpacks at $1 per item and are available to all. Those sent by other agencies receive items of their choice without cost. When clothes donations are high, two large closets hold DWC storage materials and extra clothing. A third small upstairs room is used as the Woman's Club office.
Sixteen volunteers and the director keep busy bringing in new items weekly, sorting those to put in the Closet, and culling out items which have not sold in a month or so. Disgarded items are given to other charitable or homeless organizations in Yamhill County.
A free community supper, sponsored by the DWC since 1915, is open to all whether for socialization, or need for food. No one is ever turned away and some take extra food with them at the end of the supper.DWC members and other community volunteers provide healthy, home cooked meals every **2ND ANE 4TH TUESDAYS FROM 5:30 TO 7:30 PM.
The City of Dundee has generously underwritten much of the food cost for this program. The DNC provides other consumables, and the volunteers to continue this needed service to the community.
History of the Dundee Woman's Club
Club Woman’s Collect
Keep us O God from pettiness, let us be large in thought, in word, in deed.
Let us be done with fault finding and leave off self-seeking.
May we put away all pretense and meet each other face-to-face without self-pity and without prejudice.
May we never be hasty in judgment and always be generous.
Let us take time for all things;
Make us grow calm, serene and gentle.
Teach us to put into action our better impulses, straight forward and unafraid.
Grant that we may realize that it is the little things that create differences,
That in the big things in life, we are as one.
And may we strive to touch and know the great common woman’s heart of us all, and, O Lord, Let us not forget to be kind.
~ Mary Stewart, 1904
The Historic Dundee Community Center was built from 1914 to 1915 and in 1986, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The structure was financed by a group of Dundee women who determined that the community needed a gathering place for its citizens for social, recreational and cultural activities.
Money was raised from the community, and within two years the center was built. Dedication took place on July 28, 1915. The land for the building was donated by the Bland and Joanna Herring family who lived next door. Portland architect Byron J. Moore, a cousin of the Herrings, was hired to design the building. In 2015, its 100th anniversary, a rededication celebration of the building was held. In 2008, major restoration was begun.
Dundee Community Center, circa 1918
Preparing for a Banquet
Ready for Graduation, note stage
29 Woman's Club Past Presidents
- New Exterior Doors for Kitchen & History Room
- Window Repairs; Restrooms Refurbished
- Building Exterior and Interior Painting
- Upstairs Remodel - Paint, Carpet, Repairs
- East Wall Foundation repair
- Roof Seismic and Structural Upgrades, and reroofing
- Kitchen refurbishment to meet licensing requirements
- New front porches to match original design
- In Progress: South side paved parking lot
- In Progress: New lighting in History Room
- Newberg Community Foundation – 7 awards
- Yamhill County Cultural Coalition – 2 awards
- Robert Pamplin Foundation - 2 awards
- Oregon Community Foundation; Helen A. Austin Pioneer Fund - 2 awards
- Preserving Oregon; Oregon Parks & Recreation
- Swindell’s Foundation - 2 awards
- National Trustfor Historic Preservation
- Collins Foundation
- Meyer Memorial Trust
Almost $300,000 from donations by more than 400 Individuals and Businesses; profits from 15 sponsored community events; other DWC fund raisers; DWC girt bricks program; multiple awards from the City of Dundee and Dundee Civic Association.
Community Center Restoration Project
In 2008, the Dundee Woman’s Club embarked on a major restoration of the community building. Kraft Custom Construction and Anderson/Shirley architects of Salem, who are experienced in building restoration, are guiding the overall work to be done. It is estimated that the project will cost $800,000 and take place over a number of years. Financing will occur through individual contributions, ongoing DWC fund-raising events, contributions by businesses and community groups as well as grants. In 2011, the planning phase was completed with the first $60,000 raised. The actual restoration began later in 2011 and is continuing.
Gift Bricks: a wonderful way to capture A memory
Donations are tax-deductible. The DWC is a 501c3 non-profit tax exempt organization. A number of area residents, DWC members, and descendents of DWC members have chosen to send in contributions for an inscribed paving stone in our Founding Families Courtyard for a minimum of $ 100.00. A number of other naming and memorial contribution opportunities are also available. Call 503-970-1239 for more information or go to www.dundeecommunitycenter. com. Or requests for a gift brick can sent directly to : Dundee Woman's Club, PO Box 231, Dundee, Oregon 97115.